To be honest, this was probably my favorite class this semester. I learned so much faster and so much more than I expected myself to. Even though there were a lot of moments where I felt extremely stressed and overwhelmed by the work, I did enjoy the projects and I’m really proud of how they turned out.
I enjoyed the independence the class encouraged, and it was nice to have a break from group projects for a change. While I understand it’s important to have enough people to cover the work, it felt nice to be able to work on something by myself without having to rely on anyone else. The assignments helped me practice completing the work on time, and doing more research to help better my skills in the programs we used.
I feel much more confident in maya after taking this class. The projects challenged me to learn quickly and retrain what I was learning, and I also didn’t feel as helpless or behind as I first did in the beginning of the semester.
Alec was also a great teacher. He was incredibly nice to everyone and was always helpful whenever we didn’t understand something. He was happy to help me in projects for different classes as well, which really saved my group for out thirty second animation.
All in all, this was definitely a class that helped me grow more as an animator. I still have tons that I need to learn, but I feel as though this class definitely pushed me in the direction that I needed to go in. I’m happy I got to take the class, that I got to work as hard as I did with the assignments, and that I came away feeling much more confident with my new animating skills.
Alec’s final assignment for us was sculpting a friend’s head in mudbox or Zbrush. I had to use the latter because my computer is a nasty little goblin incapable of running simple programs, but that aside I think this turned out pretty okay.
I sculpted my friend Lauren’s head. Here were the references she sent me
And here was the finished product
Because I have no idea how to properly use zbrush, I started out using an previously provided head model called DemonHead. It was quite the challenge smoothing the masculine features into feminine ones, but I think I have at least a better grasp of how to approach 3D sculpting than I did two weeks ago.
If there were thing I would do differently, I would definitely try and start from a sphere instead of a head. The restricted features were a hassle to work with. I would also try and pay more attention to her facial features. I think this looks a little bit like Lauren, however it’s very obvious this isn’t completely her.
Working on a new animation. I love the foam rising in coffee after it’s finished dripping, so I’m gonna try to make that.
Not overly pleased with this semester’s art haul, but I have all summer to catch up so there’s that I guess.
its finally done! You can watch our final project of our first year right here!
Left: bubbles rising from the water as Lamar gets ready to surface
Right: Sunrise opening scene
These were the two scenes I learned how to do some really interesting effects, and while I’m a little annoyed the group didn’t use them, I’m glad I can have them to show.
The bubbles were made with the nParticle tool with the help of a few youtube tutorials. I love this tool, and I really hope to be able to use it again soon.
Animation is done! I’m so pleased!! Right now we’re just waiting for the whole thing to render, then we’re gonna put all the sound effects in and then it’ll be ready to hand in. Even though it was frustrating as all hell sometimes, I’m super proud of it and the team. Here are some preview shots
What I learned on this project:
-Render settings. I now know how to take away all that nasty graininess in my renders
-Batch Rendering. I animated an unused opening scene, and even though the ten frames almost killed my laptop, I am more confident in finishing projects
-Character rigging and skin weights
-nParticles. I used these for the bubbles scene. It was incredibly fun, and probably my favorite scene
Helping another group with their final project and they needed a bird. Rigging him shouldn’t be as difficult as it was with Terrence.
Edit: scrapped, but at least I got to practice more character modeling.
I’ve finished my opening scene as well as a practice render. It took a surprisingly shorter amount of time than I thought it would, which of course leads me to believe that I’ve forgotten something. I don’t know anymore, I’ll figure it out.
I still have yet to even start Alec’s assignment of sculpting a classmate’s head in mudbox. I’ll probably start this weekend.
Lastly, my life drawing assignment of designing a character using the 12 principles of animation should be easy. I have my character all ready (thank you endless supply of original characters I never get around to using) and I’ll experiment probably this weekend as well.
In general I’m really frustrated with myself, and I still feel like I’m not doing enough. Like I know I have done a lot-Creating/rigging main character, rendering opening scene, finishing second scene- but I still don’t feel as though it’s the most I can do. I know I can’t do the entire project because let’s face it, that’d be suicide basically, but I don’t know how to feel as though I’ve done enough.